READ: 4 Minutes
Tornadoes can cause devastating damage to businesses, both in terms of property and lost revenue. By taking some simple steps to prepare, you can help minimize the impact of a tornado on your business.
Here are some tips for preparing your business for a tornado:
- Develop an emergency plan. This plan should include procedures for evacuating employees and customers as well as steps for securing your property.
- Identify safe areas in your building. These areas should be protected from flying debris and have access to food, water, and first aid supplies.
- Secure your property. This includes boarding up windows, removing loose items from your roof, and anchoring down outdoor furniture and equipment.
- Insure your business. A good insurance policy will help cover the cost of repairs and lost revenue in the event of a tornado.
Having proper insurance coverage can help your business recover from a tornado in a number of ways.
- Pay for repairs to your property. A properly written insurance policy will cover the cost of repairing damage to your building, including the cost of replacing windows, doors, and roofing materials.
- Cover the cost of lost revenue. If your business is forced to close due to a tornado, your insurance policy can help cover the cost of lost revenue.
- Provide financial assistance to employees. If your employees are unable to work due to a tornado, your insurance policy may provide financial assistance to help them cover their living expenses.
By taking the time to prepare for a tornado, you can help protect your business and your employees from the devastating effects of these storms.
Here are some additional tips for businesses located in areas that are prone to tornadoes:
- Keep a supply of food, water, and first aid supplies on hand. This will help you be prepared in the event of an evacuation.
- Have a plan for communicating with employees and customers. This could include having a designated contact person who will be responsible for sending out updates or using a social media platform to share information.
- Be familiar with the tornado warning system in your area. This will help you know when to take action and how to stay safe.
By following these tips, you can help keep your business and your employees safe in the event of a tornado.
Have questions? Want to know more?
Reach out! At IMA, we’re here to help safeguard your future!
If you have any questions concerning protecting your company name or information on getting insurance for your small business, please contact an IMA Select representative in your area.